Tuesday 24 May 2011

Just getting started

It will take me a little while to get into the swing of things, so as a practice for me and an introduction to the blog I am just going to post a few photos together with a summary of where and when and hope it takes off from there.

Earlier last month I went to North Wales, the weather was a bit changeable, however the visit ended with a trip to South Stack near Holyhead, run by the RSPB. It was a fantastic day, seeing the cliffs lined with hundrreds of Guillemots and Razorbills.

Guillemots lining the cliff at South Stack - Canon 400D +100-400 zoom



Pair of Razorbills at South Stack - Canon 400D +100-400 zoom
 
Choughs were sparodically flying overhead and below.



Chough at South Stack - Canon 400D +100-400 zoom

A few pairs of Fulmars were also perched on the cliff faces. The below pair were first timers on this particular ledge.


Pair of Fulmars at South Stack - Canon 400D +100-400 zoom

To top it off a few Puffins popped in and out of their burrows. Sadly these burrows were at quite a distance.

Puffin at South Stack - Canon 400D +100-400 zoom

My local haunt is Leybourne Lakes.This area is already covered by several excellent nature Blogs, so I probably won't report to often from there, however here are a few snaps from my most recent visits. It was a blustery day, so not much was about.


(I believe) a Common Blue Damselfly - Olympus SP-590UZ

Banded Demoiselle Damselfly -  Olympus SP-590UZ


Grelag Goose - a very young one - Olympus SP-590UZ

My visits to Mote Park a few years ago resulted only in the usual ducks, however a Mote Park Blogger nudged me into a revisit. I was pleasantly surprised by the variety I heard and irritated immensely by how well it all remained hidden. Very few pictures taken, however it was fun to see a swarm of bees attached to this tree by the lakeside, I hope they found somewhere safe to settle.

Bee Swarm - Olympus SP-590UZ
Thats it for my first post. It took several hours to do the photo editing, however a bit of practice and I should get quicker. The future should see a more in depth report style, dated and with a full list of sightings.

No comments:

Post a Comment